Paxos accounts require 2-step verification, known also as as 2-factor (2FA) or multifactor authentication, as an added security layer in addition to your username and password.
With 2-step verification for your account, you'll need to provide a unique verification code provided by an authentication app in addition to your username and password.
Duo, Google Authenticator, and Authy
These are apps that generate a one-time code based on both of these factors:
1) the current date and time on your phone
2) a secret key known only to you and Paxos.
Paxos shows you a QR code, which represents the secret key, which you'll then need to scan using an Authenticator app on your phone.
How to Add 2-Step verification (MFA) to My Account
Please follow the below steps to obtain MFA authentication code:
1. On your smartphone or tablet, install Google Authenticator, Authy or Duo Mobile.
2. On www.paxos.com, log in to your Paxos account.
3. Use the authenticator app on your phone to scan the QR code on your screen OR Input the verification code generated below the QR code into your authenticator app and click OK.
4. Save the verification below the QR code in case your device is lost or stolen
5. On your Paxos account page, enter 6 digit code from your authenticator app (no spaces) & enter a device name of your choosing (i.e. iPhone)
We strongly encourage having MFA on your mobile device (i.e. cellphone, tablet) for security reasons. However, you can also install a desktop version of Authy.
Adding Multiple Devices or Transferring Your MFA Connection
You can connect multiple devices to your Paxos account.
- Login to your Paxos account and click “Settings”
- Click the “MFA Management” subtab.
Please note, you will need an existing device to add any new devices to your account. Once a second device is added, you're free to disable your original connection.